Swap hours in the kitchen for fun Easter Sunday festivities by trying this slow cooker braised lamb in red wine. This flavorful + juicy dish is sure to become your next tradition!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
4 (about 1 lb. each) lamb shanks
1 bottle (750ml) burgundy wine
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 dried bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in carrots and celery and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Transfer onion and carrot mixture to a medium bowl.
- Shake flour, salt and pepper in a closeable plastic zipper bag. Place lamb in bag. Seal and shake until lamb is coated.
- Add coated lamb shanks to Dutch oven to brown on all sides, cooking over medium high heat about 15 minutes. Add additional oil, if necessary.
- Place lamb shanks in slow cooker crock. Top with onion and carrot mixture, wine, rosemary sprigs and bay leaves.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 to 4 hours or LOW 7 to 8 hours until meat is tender.
Recipe Courtesy of Everyday Good Thinking: https://everydaygoodthinking.com/2015/03/30/slow-cooker-braised-lamb-shanks-in-red-wine/
WRITTEN BY: Hamilton Beach