Looking for the perfect summer side recipe? Look no more! This summer, while you’re entertaining and grilling your favorite meat, add in this perfect squash or zucchini dish. This recipe doesn’t take long to make and locks in sweet and tangy flavors in every bite. Try this flavorful dish for dinner this summer.
- 4 medium summer squash or zucchini (about 1½ lb. total)
- Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. hot chili paste
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or sunflower oil, divided
- 1 lime, halved
- ½ small shallot, thinly sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves with tender stems
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Cut each squash in half lengthwise, then score cut sides in a ¼” crosshatch pattern with the tip of your knife. Toss squash and 1 tsp. salt in a colander; set over a bowl. Let sit 10 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, combine honey, vinegar, soy sauce, and chili paste in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half and slightly thickened (just shy of syrupy), 5–7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 Tbsp. oil.
- Toss squash with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large baking dish or plate. Turn squash cut side up, then brush with glaze.
- Grill squash cut side down until just beginning to char around the edges, about 3 minutes. Continue to grill, turning every minute or so and brushing squash with glaze on cut sides, until just tender and cut sides are lightly charred and shiny from the glaze, 6–8 minutes total. (Reserve any leftover glaze.) Transfer squash to a platter.
- Squeeze juice from 1 lime half into a medium bowl and add shallot and cilantro; season with salt and toss to combine.
- Drizzle squash with any leftover glaze. Top with herb salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with remaining lime half alongside.
Recipe Courtesy of bon appétit: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sweet-and-spicy-grilled-summer-squash